Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Its Not that Liberals are Ignorant, Its just that what they know is wrong. -R. Reagan



In preparation for the Iowa Straw Caucus on Saturday, Mitt Romney came to Iowa City. Julie, Addie & I went to Iowa River Power Restaurant for lunch and a question/answer session with the governor. This was my first "close encounter" with a presidential candidate. He gave a brief speech, highlighting the "3 legged stool" on which his campaign is based: strengthening the military, strengthening the economy, and strengthening family--all of which build to strengthening America. To me, his most impressive statement was when he addressed strengthening family. He was bold in saying that the first step to strengthening family was to teach children that marriage comes before babies.
Following his speech the floor was opened to "citizen's" questions. The media was not allowed to ask questions. Being in middle America (farm country) many of the questions that were asked centered around agriculture, one question was asked about education and one about medical care asked by a med student. Of course, there was also the token "green" question about alternative fuels--of which I know nothing but was impressed with the governor's knowledge of the "granola" jargon.
We have been in Iowa City for a little over a month now and I had no idea that there were other Republicans here! I have never seen so many Obama and Hilary bumper stickers--it was refreshing to spend time with like-minded, RIGHT individuals.
One of Romney's aides took the photo of us (which explains why MY head is cut off and Mitt's is perfectly centered) and the other photo is of Romney just after signing a bobble head doll of himself.
All in all it was an enjoyable afternoon, I love politics and am amped for the 2008 elections! Dad, get the speaker phone ready, I am sure there will be many hours of simultaneously watching the Fox analysts while on the phone but not saying a word.
**On another note, you cannot see how cute my hair is, but trust me, Joel would be proud.

2 comments:

Kiki said...

Our little card carrying Republican!

Jill said...

You are so funny. I love this post. I was for Mitt R. too; Mitt is a REAL republican. I was so sad when he dropped out of the race.